Kutaland $/are$21K +2.4%Selong Belanakland $/are$12K +1.8%Are Gulingland $/are$9K +4.1%Mandalikaland $/are$7.5K +3.2%Mawunland $/are$3.9K +2.1%Bumbangland $/are$2.4K +5.0%Avg OccupancySouth Lombok70.6% +5pp YoYAvg Nightly Rateall zones$200 +$13 YoYTourism Arrivalsyear-on-year+47% NEW HIGHMotoGP Indexdemand proxy138.4 +12.6US T-Bond 10Ybenchmark yield4.28% -0.04Kutaland $/are$21K +2.4%Selong Belanakland $/are$12K +1.8%Are Gulingland $/are$9K +4.1%Mandalikaland $/are$7.5K +3.2%Mawunland $/are$3.9K +2.1%Bumbangland $/are$2.4K +5.0%Avg OccupancySouth Lombok70.6% +5pp YoYAvg Nightly Rateall zones$200 +$13 YoYTourism Arrivalsyear-on-year+47% NEW HIGHMotoGP Indexdemand proxy138.4 +12.6US T-Bond 10Ybenchmark yield4.28% -0.04
Government Sends 52 Tonnes of Aid to East Nusa Tenggara Quake-Hit Areas
All articles
News

Government Sends 52 Tonnes of Aid to East Nusa Tenggara Quake-Hit Areas

Indonesia has distributed 52 tonnes of emergency aid after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck parts of East Nusa Tenggara.

17 Aug 2026·4 min read·By HubLombok
Illustration: HubLombok (AI-generated)
Share𝕏

Indonesia’s government says it has distributed 52 tonnes of emergency assistance to areas affected by a magnitude 7.7 earthquake in East Nusa Tenggara (NTT). The response, now in its second day, combines food, water, medical support, shelter and sanitation equipment for displaced residents.

A second day of emergency logistics

Cabinet Secretary Teddy Indra Wijaya said that an additional 25 tonnes of government aid arrived across several affected areas on Sunday, August 16. The delivery followed the start of the emergency response on Saturday, August 15, when the earthquake struck parts of the province.

The additional shipment brought total aid distributed since the response began to 52 tonnes, according to Wijaya. He said the government was continuing to move logistical support into the affected areas and to work towards meeting the needs of communities displaced by the disaster.

52 tonnes of aid had been distributed since the emergency response began, including a further 25 tonnes delivered on its second day.

The government’s stated objective is both immediate and practical: ensure that essential supplies reach affected communities while disaster-management operations continue on the ground.

Food, water and medical supplies form the core response

The supplies sent to NTT include ready-to-eat meals, drinking water, staple foods, medicines, medical equipment, tents and clean-water support. The additional aid delivered on Sunday comprised:

  • Five tonnes of ready-to-eat meals
  • Four tonnes of drinking water
  • 16 tonnes of staple foods

The deployment also included volunteer teams, health workers, medical supplies, tents, and water and sanitation equipment. That mix reflects the immediate demands commonly faced by displaced communities: access to food and potable water, basic shelter, medical care and sanitation.

The source does not provide an estimate of damage, casualty figures, recovery costs or a timetable for reconstruction. For readers assessing the situation, that distinction matters. The government’s reported figures describe aid dispatched during the initial emergency phase, rather than the eventual scale or duration of recovery.

Assistance reaches several affected areas

Wijaya said the Sunday shipment was immediately distributed across several areas, including Labuan Bajo, Maumere, Manggarai, West Manggarai, East Manggarai, Sikka, Ende and Nagekeo.

This broad geographic distribution underscores the operational challenge facing emergency authorities: supplies must be delivered across multiple locations while needs are assessed and response teams are deployed. The government has not, in the supplied report, broken down the 52 tonnes by district or specified how much assistance each location received.

For now, the clearest confirmed picture is one of an active logistical response. The government has sent essential goods and personnel to a number of affected areas, with food, water, healthcare and temporary shelter featuring prominently in the assistance package.

Ministers and national agencies are on the ground

Several senior officials from the Red and White Cabinet have been present in the affected areas since the first day of the response, according to Wijaya. Their roles include directly overseeing disaster-management efforts in different districts.

The officials named in the report include:

  • Minister of Home Affairs Tito Karnavian, in East Manggarai District
  • Coordinating Minister for Human Development and Cultural Affairs Pratikno, in Ruteng, Manggarai District
  • Minister of Public Works Dody Hanggodo, in Ende District
  • Deputy Minister of Health Benjamin Paulus Octavianus, in Maumere, Sikka District
  • Deputy Minister of Social Affairs Agus Jabo Priyono, in Ruteng, Manggarai District

Also reported to be in Manggarai District are Suharyanto, head of the National Agency for Disaster Countermeasure (BNPB); Air Marshal Mohammad Syafii, head of the National Search and Rescue Agency (Basarnas); and Simon Aloysius Mantiri, president director of PT PERTAMINA (Persero).

The presence of cabinet members and national-agency leaders signals that the response is being coordinated at a senior level during the initial emergency period. It does not, however, in itself establish the longer-term reconstruction programme or its funding; neither is detailed in the source report.

Independence Day observed with displaced residents

In a separate statement, Pratikno said that ministers and deputy ministers in the disaster-affected areas commemorated Indonesia’s 81st Independence Day with displaced residents on Monday morning.

The observance took place alongside the continuing aid operation. Its inclusion in the official update adds a human dimension to an otherwise logistical account: emergency response remains focused on material needs, but it is also being conducted within communities experiencing displacement during a national holiday.

What this means for investors

For investors following Indonesia, the immediate significance is informational rather than transactional. The supplied report concerns emergency aid in East Nusa Tenggara and does not describe an impact on Lombok, South Lombok property, tourism operations, infrastructure, land titles or investment projects.

A measured reading is therefore appropriate:

  • The confirmed development is the government’s early emergency response following a magnitude 7.7 earthquake in parts of NTT.
  • The government reports 52 tonnes of aid distributed, including food, water, medical supplies, tents and sanitation equipment.
  • Senior officials and national agencies are reported to be overseeing response activity in affected districts.
  • No damage estimate, recovery budget, operating disruption assessment or Lombok-specific impact is provided in the source.

That last point is especially important for cross-border investors. Disaster headlines can understandably prompt questions about regional exposure, but responsible analysis should not extend beyond verified information. In this case, the report supports a clear account of aid mobilisation in NTT; it does not support broader conclusions about property markets or investment conditions elsewhere.

Further official updates may provide a clearer view of recovery needs and the operational consequences for the affected areas. Until then, the most reliable indicator is the continuing delivery of essential support to displaced communities.

Stay informed — subscribe to our free weekly Lombok market intelligence for analysis like this delivered every Sunday.

Frequently asked questions

How much aid has the government sent to East Nusa Tenggara?

Indonesia’s government said it had distributed 52 tonnes of emergency aid since its response began after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck parts of East Nusa Tenggara. This total included an additional 25 tonnes delivered on the second day of operations.

What supplies are included in the East Nusa Tenggara aid response?

The reported assistance includes ready-to-eat meals, drinking water, staple foods, medicines, medical equipment, tents, clean-water support and sanitation equipment. The additional Sunday shipment included five tonnes of ready-to-eat meals, four tonnes of drinking water and 16 tonnes of staple foods.

Does this report identify an impact on Lombok investments or property?

No. The supplied report concerns emergency assistance in East Nusa Tenggara and does not describe effects on Lombok, South Lombok property, tourism operations, infrastructure, land titles or investment projects. It also provides no damage estimate or recovery budget.

Originally reported by
Antara Current
Found this useful? Pass it on.
The Lombok Buyer's Field Guide — the free 85-page book
Free 85-page book

The Lombok Buyer's Field Guide

Legal structures ranked by risk, the honest ROI math line by line, all six zones ranked, and the 24-point due-diligence checklist. The whole book — free in your inbox.

Twice-monthly market intelligence. No spam, unsubscribe anytime. By subscribing you also receive relevant villa updates from our partner Samudra Villas.

See what's inside