
Bulog Says Food Reserves Are Secure After East Nusa Tenggara Earthquake
Indonesia’s Bulog says rice and cooking-oil supplies are ready to support earthquake relief and recovery across East Nusa Tenggara.
Bulog Says Food Reserves Are Secure After East Nusa Tenggara Earthquake
Indonesia’s state logistics agency, Bulog, says food reserves in East Nusa Tenggara remain secure as emergency response and recovery efforts continue after the earthquake. The agency is positioning rice and subsidised cooking oil for affected communities while preparing backup shipments to manage possible logistical disruption.
Rice reserves positioned for immediate relief
Bulog President Director Ahmad Rizal Ramdhani said East Nusa Tenggara holds between 35,000 and 37,000 metric tons of rice. According to Bulog, that volume is sufficient to support immediate relief operations in areas affected by the earthquake.
35,000-37,000 metric tons of rice are available in East Nusa Tenggara, Bulog says.
“Stocks are secure,” Rizal said on Monday. He added that Bulog would increase supplies if further needs emerged.
The statement matters because food availability is among the first operational tests of an emergency response. Relief supplies must reach temporary shelters quickly, while normal commercial distribution also needs to continue. Bulog said it is distributing rice across the province with the aim of supporting affected areas without interrupting regular market supply.
Local branches instructed to keep supplies ready
Bulog has directed branch offices in affected districts and municipalities to maintain at least 20 metric tons of rice for immediate dispatch. The approach is designed to give local teams an available buffer rather than waiting for supplies to be mobilised from elsewhere after a request is made.
Each area will also receive an additional 1,000 litres of MinyaKita-branded, government-subsidised cooking oil to support emergency public kitchens. Rice and cooking oil are practical staples for communal food preparation, particularly where displaced residents are being served through temporary facilities.
Local Bulog branches have been ordered to keep at least 20 metric tons of rice available for rapid distribution.
Bulog said it began sending emergency aid before receiving formal requests from regional authorities. Rizal said the purpose was to ensure that evacuees in temporary shelters received assistance without delay.
Backup shipments planned around infrastructure constraints
The agency is also preparing backup shipments from neighbouring West Nusa Tenggara and South Sulawesi. Bulog said the decision reflects the risk that damaged infrastructure, difficult geography and limited communications in some areas could complicate distribution.
This is an important distinction: secure aggregate stocks do not automatically guarantee easy delivery to every affected community. Roads, communications and local access can determine whether available food reaches households and public kitchens when needed. Bulog said it had prepared larger reserves than the needs identified so far because of those operational constraints.
The agency’s plan combines locally held inventory with external supply options. That can help maintain flexibility if conditions change during the recovery phase or if some affected locations require more support than initially expected.
Coordination remains central to distribution
Rizal said the Indonesian National Armed Forces, known as the TNI, and local authorities are coordinating closely with Bulog. He said aid distribution in East Nusa Tenggara was proceeding as planned.
The agency has framed adequate food availability as part of the wider recovery effort. Its immediate priority is to provide assistance to earthquake-affected residents, including evacuees in temporary shelters, while preserving normal distribution channels across the province.
For observers of Indonesia’s eastern regions, the episode underlines the practical value of local stockholding and coordinated logistics during a disaster response. It also highlights the importance of contingency planning when geography and communications can constrain the movement of essential supplies.
What this means for investors
For investors following Indonesia’s regional operating environment, Bulog’s announcement offers a narrow but relevant signal: public logistics agencies are seeking to protect essential food distribution while emergency conditions persist.
Key points to watch are:
- Food reserves: Bulog says East Nusa Tenggara has 35,000-37,000 metric tons of rice available for immediate relief operations.
- Local readiness: Affected branch offices are to hold at least 20 metric tons of rice for immediate dispatch.
- Emergency kitchens: Each area will receive an additional 1,000 litres of MinyaKita cooking oil.
- Contingency supply: Backup shipments are being prepared from West Nusa Tenggara and South Sulawesi.
- Execution risk: Bulog has identified damaged infrastructure, challenging geography and limited communications as potential logistical bottlenecks.
The immediate issue remains humanitarian: ensuring that affected residents and evacuees can access food during the emergency response and recovery process. Bulog’s stated position is that supplies are secure, with the capacity to raise them if required.
As relief operations continue, the effectiveness of local distribution and backup logistics will remain the practical measure of that assurance.
Stay informed — subscribe to our free weekly Lombok market intelligence for analysis like this delivered every Sunday.
How much rice does Bulog say is available in East Nusa Tenggara?
Bulog says East Nusa Tenggara holds between 35,000 and 37,000 metric tons of rice. President Director Ahmad Rizal Ramdhani said the reserves are sufficient for immediate earthquake-relief operations and that supplies would be increased if further needs arise.
What food assistance is being prepared for affected communities?
Bulog has instructed local branch offices in affected districts and municipalities to keep at least 20 metric tons of rice ready for immediate dispatch. Each area will also receive an additional 1,000 litres of MinyaKita government-subsidised cooking oil for emergency public kitchens.
How is Bulog managing possible delivery disruptions after the quake?
Bulog is preparing backup shipments from West Nusa Tenggara and South Sulawesi. The agency cited damaged infrastructure, challenging geography and limited communications as potential bottlenecks, and said it had prepared larger reserves than the needs identified so far.

The Lombok Buyer's Field Guide
Legal structures ranked by risk, the honest ROI math line by line, all six zones ranked, and the 24-point due-diligence checklist. The whole book — free in your inbox.
See what's inside